Friday, June 24, 2005

Illusions Part1: Wisdom and Knowledge

Gonna be a couple of posts here, hence Part 1. Just re-read Illusions, one of the books that made me question a lot of my personal philosophies about the world, and something I read every so often cuz I have a new perspective on the world as I grow older (thinking about it, there's a quote in there along the lines of "Who am I? Where am I going? What is my home? Think about these every so often, and watch your answers change". I guess that is one of the reasons why I have favourite books I read every so often - because I'm different, so is what it teaches me, what I enjoy about it, etc).

Anyhooo, one of the many lessons I took from this book was that wisdom and knowledge comes from any source at any time, and doesn't fall into the perscribed boundaries that "society" places upon it on what is worth listening to, and what isn't. You are as likely to find wisdom or personal philosophy in the words of Snoopy, as you are in any philosophical or "peer reviewed" text. I detest knowledge snobs, and the pretentions they hold - those that devalue anything because its source is not "valid" or "cool". Basically, if the knowledge or wisdom you find works for you - it adds value to your life or the lives of those around you - bollox to where it came from!

The same applies for choosing your teachers - learn from anyone who has a lesson for you - don't reject it out of hand because of that persons image, or social standing.

In the software development arena, these words apply as readily as in the world of shaping oneself as a person. I learnt more about management and how companies should (and shouldn't) work from, for example, reading Dilbert cartoons than I ever have from any management book I've read. I learnt more about team management and customer service from a manager I worked for as a student temp in an off licence, as I have from anyone in any library or company I've worked at since (and I've been fortunate in my professional career to work with some outstanding people).

Don't get me wrong - I recognise that I am more likely to learn and grow from what society deems to be the "right" sources. BUT that doesn't mean you should ever pre-judge any knowledge or wisdom you recieve because of its source. Open your eyes and ears to all, and assess everything you gather on its own value rather than from where, or who, or how you encounter it!

No comments: