Thursday, June 16, 2005

Too much noise?

This just caught my attention - IBM employees and their love for BLOGS! Initial thoughts:

- too much noise - how do you cope with all those people shouting their thoughts into the internal ether, and how do you streamline it so you only hear the voices of worth? And even once you've found the right voices, how do you get the right posts? I had very minor dabble at setting keywords up in Sharp Reader, but just far to adhoc. Folksonomy, anyone? Please?

- The fact that people are finding practical uses for Blogs, such as informally communicating on project dev/status (I raised this the other day at work - as our dev process gets more agile, I feel this would fit alongside our more formal project metrics far better. Maybe I'll try it soon, if find a suitablely discrete project)

- Adding business value. All internal Blogs need to add this (well, all employees need to add this - we need to be questioning and assessing our actions every minute!). Does my blog add value to the business, or to the domain? I don't know - I guess the way to find out is to just keep posting. the one thing I find it does do is add value to me, in the way I now have an outlet for "my stream of thought" I never had before, and I get satisfacton from utilising this. And if this makes me work better or happier, all the better.

No comments: