Thursday, January 25, 2007

Reader development is so important...

We had a successful recording session today with the Future Librarians, where we discussed Reader Development and a modernised reader service. Will probably be a few weeks for it to be passed through the mill and get onto the podcasts page, so I'll post when it finally goes up.

I must admit to finding these podcasts a massively rewarding experience, mainly as an opportunity to hear such enthusiasm about our profession - doubly so it felt today around this topic. I am known for getting carried away with "my pet passions", and reader dev has always been one for me but I really feel strongly that reader dev is something the entire profession needs to be (and is, it appears) enthusing about.

If we are to present "a really brilliant reader offer", to engage both with users and non-users, to align with the whole "community agenda", it is by being passionate about reading. We have the opportunity, with the convergence of both technologies (Web2) and philosophy (Library2), to drive libraries into a position of dominance in the reading domain. I strongly feel the Talis Platform could be a key to this, and with the ideas exposed today, I am even more focussed on banging the drum in this area. So, keep listening...

No comments: